If you have been following the blog you know that lots of work has been done at HATS to help prevent flooding. The raising of the bridge to the compound , removal of huge gate, and subsequent reinstallation of gate was finished yesterday afternoon. (We had only one night with the big barrier/gate lying on the ground. Luckner sent a second armed security to sit there for that night and we all slept well.) That same night we returned from PAP and I parked the truck in the wet school compound as there was no way to get into the main compound. Yesterday a truck load of gravel was dropped in the entrance immediately after the gate was put back up and quickly spread inside the yard by workers.
Then the rain came.

Putting Big Gate to compound back up again


Soon feel safe again


Load of gravel to be spread inside the gate

Luckner and I looked at the sky, then at each other and said “Now we are going to be tested.” We had to take a quick run, in the rain, to Pont Sonde with both trucks (his and HATS) to meet a vehicle who had brought our Reliv product for the school and orphanage from Titayan for us. The product was quickly packed into the two trucks, tarped and tied, and we headed back to the compound.

The rain continued and we saw lots of evidence of flooding in Liancourt and Coupon/Borel area on the way home. We knew the HATS compound was truly being tested and we were anxious to see how it stood up after all the work Luckner had overseen. I am very happy to report that as we drove over the new bridge into the compound and then to the Devotion/Meeting room to unload the Reliv boxes we did not do so in water. Thank you, God.

There was water on the compound but it was on the areas not yet worked on. There was water between the gate and the generator room that does not yet have the drainage pipes in or any fill there. There was some water between the Kid’s Home and the Devotion/Meeting room too, as that also has not been worked on. We wanted to get our first rain and see what would happen there. And if it could wait we would build the new Kid’s Home “Kay Timbrmart” before putting fill in that area of the yard. It was getting dark and raining so I did not get photos of where it was wet. Wet, but not flooded!

As far as I, Karen, am concerned, yesterday we were tried, tested and passed. If all that work had not been done the compound would have been flooded again. Boss Luckner, and our great team of construction workers, have done a great job. They have all worked long and hard in intense heat. I am thankful and proud of them.

On Thursday Luckner, Mariah and I went to the airport to pick up a lady from Ontario, Beate Rufft, who came to help me and will be leaving with Mariah. She will travel as far as Miami with Mariah and see that she gets to her gate for her flights to Dallas and on to Calgary. For this I am very thankful. The arrangements for her coming to help were made shortly after the earthquake and I am glad we did. I feel as if I have known her for years. She was a godsend in her first day here. Her first night here, however, was marked by the constant crowing of roosters. All who have been here know of which I speak.

Beate’s arrival at airport

While in PAP we drove Mariah through some of the earthquake damaged areas so she could see for herself. It is still very difficult to see and it was obvious Mariah too was finding it thus. Not a lot of progress that I could see. We took her to see the broken palace and all the crashed government buildings – some of which have been removed.

Mariah & the Palace in PAP

While there we could not resist a photo of an ingenious young man selling pop from his moto.

New method of selling pop

On our way back I arranged for Mariah to see David in Montrouis. He is a fine young man who received an education here through Education Haiti. He is special, to Liette and family as well as to me. He informed me that he was interviewed and retested again recently, and rehired to teach English again in September. David is a good example of sponsoring a student.

Mariah & David

Things Mariah was helping with are now on Beate’s shoulders as Mariah has truly become the Little Mama for our cutie pitutie, one-year-old Tayanna. Mariah has her hands full there.

Yesterday, payday, Mariah was ‘ Madamn Directrice’ for awhile. She took my place in paying all employees, even to borrowing my glasses to look the part. (I might add she did this job while Tayanna was napping.)

Mariah paying salaries (Note glasses)

Last night we had our very own ‘crowing rooster’ just outside my house. I was thinking of Don and Ed. I was remembering sitting on the roof top with the HATS family and other workteam members while Ed did the rooster dance and Don did the crowing which had us all in stitches.

When we visited Mariah’s biological family early in the week, he said he would come see her on Friday. He did so, complete with gifts. He brought Mariah a rooster and a hen – live I might add – and a large bag with bananas, plantain, limes, militon. He is a nice man. He has a reputation of gentleness which is evident. It is awesome to see him with Mariah and see the pride on his face. Martha will come to work today, kill, prepare, and cook the birds along with the other things Mariah’s dad brought her. Sleep should come easier tonight with the rooster in the pot instead of under the window.

Mariah & biological father (His gifts to her)

When I blog again hopefully I will have photos of our new signs going up outside the compound. One on each of the compounds – Main compound and school compound.

Beate will blog today or tomorrow and a few times while here. This will free me up to do some of the million other things that is awaiting my attention. When she arrived she was warmly welcomed and all the children are happy she is here.

For those who might be interested in knowing – I will be going to eastern Canada for 3 1/2 weeks on Aug 27th, I will be in Yarmouth area first, at Sandra and Dickie’s – 742-5234, and then on Sept 7th in Newfoundland, at Don & Lila’s – 673-3491. I will be talking/sharing about Haiti and HATS but also getting some needed time visiting family and friends. I am looking forward to touching base with friends – old and new.