Position Title: Missionary
Posting Date: February 8, 2017
Location: Pont Deschapelles, Artibonite Haiti
Position Type: Voluntary, Full-Time
Hands Across the Sea believes that children are the key to Haiti’s future. We are a registered charitable organization working with needy children and families in Deschapelles, Haiti. We operate a children’s home, a school from preschool to grade 12 with over 500 students, and an outreach ministry to families in the surrounding communities. For more information, visit our About Us and Our History pages.
We are looking for long-term volunteer staff for our work in rural Haiti. You will have the opportunity to assist in the daily operation of the mission. On-site housing is provided but volunteers must raise their own support through their church or community organizations.
Desirable Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- Heartfelt compassion and concern for the people of Haiti;
- Mature Christian in good physical, spiritual and mental health;
- A love and desire to work with children;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- A positive team player;
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and complete tasks;
- Knowledge of French would be an asset; however, a willingness to learn Creole is essential;
- Computer proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite or similar software would be an asset;
- Volunteer or paid experience in a developing country preferred;
- Commitment of 2 years is preferred.
- Actively contribute to the leadership and oversight of the mission;
- Provide office support;
- Assist with basic repair and maintenance of the facilities;
- Spend quality time with children and staff on site;
- Learn the local language;
- Attend and contribute to daily devotions and weekly church services and other team events;
- Make a healthy and positive adjustment to local culture.
If you would like to be considered for this position, or require more information, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator.