Hands Across the Sea provides high quality education to children from preschool to grade 12 at our safe, well-constructed school campus. We also support students registered in senior secondary at other community schools. Registered with the Haitian Ministry of Education, our school follows the prescribed federal school curriculum, while working to incorporate modern approaches to teaching and learning. Ongoing teacher training and professional development help our teachers provide the highest quality education possible.
In the 2015/2016 school year:
- We had 518 children enrolled from preschool to grade 11.
- We added a new grade 11 class with 16 students in September 2015.
- At the end of the school year, 95% of our sponsor students had sponsors contributing towards the costs of their schooling.
- We are awaiting exam results for the 2015/2016 academic year. In the 2014/2015 school year:
- 88% of the students who wrote exams in our school passed.
- 16 students wrote and passed the grade 6 government exams.
- 21 students wrote the grade 9 government exams and all but two students passed these very difficult government exams.
Healthy brains require healthy bodies. According to the World Food Program, school meals must be a priority in Haiti. In a country where 30 percent of the population is food insecure, a daily meal at school is a simple way to ensure that children receive at least one nutritious meal every day. A well balanced meal based on grains and beans provides between 30 to 45 percent of daily recommended calorie intake for the students. Our students receive a nutritious hot lunch each school day and for some children, this is the only hot meal they will have all day. Our meal program is key to help keep children in school. Children who receive nourishment are better able to focus in school and have more academic success.
School sponsorship is the backbone of our educational programming. Sponsorship allows us to provide an excellent education to children whose families cannot afford the costs of tuition, books and uniforms.
Please note this cause recurs annually and the donation target will be reset each fiscal year.
Donate with PayPal
Our Donate Now button for this cause will connect directly with PayPal. Please note that there is a fee of 2.9% on all PayPal donations and your tax receipt will be for money HATS receives.
Donate with eTransfer
Send an e-transfer through your online banking. Please indicate your donation is for the School cause. Include your full name and address if you wish to receive a Canadian tax receipt.